Birribee Housing, an Aboriginal Community Controlled housing provider wholly owned by the NSW Aboriginal Land Council. A Community driven organisation committed to providing safe, secure, and culturally appropriate housing for Aboriginal people to practice self-determination and meet their social, cultural and economic needs.
Join our dedicated team on an exciting 'Closing the Gap Incentive Care Program' in Moree, as we embark on a mission to provide more than shelter, but a brighter future for our Aboriginal communities.
We are seeking a dedicated individual to join our team as a Community Development Officer.
This role is pivotal in shaping a supportive and vibrant housing community and will work with tenants and key stakeholders to increase Birribee’s capacity to deliver outcomes that improve the health and wellbeing of tenants in Moree.
To do this you must:
- Develop and implement comprehensive community engagement strategies to promote a sense of belonging and social connectivity among tenants.
- Facilitate and coordinate community engagement days, fostering interaction and participation.
- Empower tenants through the development and implementation of action plans, ensuring active community involvement and addressing individual needs.
- Facilitate and encourage tenant participation in education and employment programs, promoting skill development and empowerment.
- Cultivate partnerships with local community groups, service providers, and government agencies to expand support services available to tenants.
- Act as a liaison between Birribee Housing and external stakeholders to strengthen collaborative initiatives.
- Encourage and coordinate beautification projects in Mehi and Stanley Village, enhancing the aesthetic appeal and sense of pride within the community.
- Collaborate with tenants and local organisations to implement beautification plans.
- Contribute to the Sustaining Tenancies Project by identifying community development opportunities that align with sustainable housing solutions.
- Work collaboratively with the Sustainability Specialist to integrate community development initiatives into sustainability programs.
- Advocate for the needs and interests of tenants within the broader community.
- Represent Birribee Housing at relevant community forums and contribute to discussions on housing, social wellbeing, and community development.
- Establish mechanisms for monitoring community engagement and development metrics.
- Prepare regular reports on the progress and impact of community development initiatives for internal and external stakeholders.
- Certificate in Community Development, Social Work, or a related field.
- Proven experience in community development roles, with a focus on action planning and tenant empowerment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to design and implement community engagement and development programs.
- Collaborative approach and ability to build and maintain positive relationships.
- Experience working with the community and / or a strong knowledge of Aboriginal culture is highly desirable
To be successful in this role, you must also be willing to undergo a police check and obtain a Working with Children Check.
Applications will be assessed as they are received, so please do not hesitate to apply.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link below. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Mahala Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting Ref No. 1144542.